Even I was getting tired of seeing my boring posts for the last week. The reality is though, things are pretty boring here on the home front. Last night I did get out to play music with the lads, which was good but I have to say my mojo seems to be in low these days. Another break in the boredom was John's brief visit on his way home from Vangroovy. We had a most excellent meal at Waterfront Wines--pork roast and organic veggies and the sable fish with celery root and scalloped potatoes. Yum...
The last two weeks have been frustrating for me as I was just amping up my running routine when I got totally crippled by a set of shin splints, or as they are now called, "medial tibial stress syndrome". It really really really brought me down. I saw a sport med doc and a physiotherapist so now I am in the cue for some orthotics and have had to take the last 10 days off from running. The MD gave me some anti-inflammatory cream (vioxx but in cream form) for my legs and it seems to help.
I realized how little I have been listening to my body lately. I felt those pains coming on a few weeks ago so my answer was to take 800mg of advil about 20mins before each run. BAD IDEA. I know. Its just soooo tempting. But I see that it really is not a healthy way of having feedback with your body when you're doing strenuous exercise, and I think I paid the price. I was able to run twice this week and it was okay, so I think I am getting back on the wagon---but I won't make my distance goal this month. Sigh.
I guess it is a good lesson though, pain is an important self preservation mechanism. People who have congenital insensitivity disorder with anhidrosis (CIDA) have a shorter life expectancy than those who don't. Their joints wear out because they can't feel when they are stressing them, they eat food that burns them, they'll break bones and never know. Take home message, pain is telling you something, listen to it.
So how does that relate to the PAIN I am in right now with regard to my physics midterm on Monday? The mental anquish must be telling me something--that I should stop doing physics, forget about med school and start working full time at Tim Hortons making breakfast bagels how they are meant to be made.
Okay maybe you shouldn't modify your behaviour with regard to all sources of pain...
No comments:
Post a Comment