I am too tired, stressed, and sad to write anything interesting, funny, or engaging right now.
But here is a little post for me to look back on someday and say,
"yes, job well done...you really stuck it out when it seemed like the sky was falling".
Because that is how it feels right now. Falling. Crashing down all around.
It's been one of those weeks where more often than not I say to myself, "what the hell am I doing all of this for?"
Why can't I be settled and happy? Why do I feel like I am doomed to be "always roaming with a hungry heart..."?
What I wouldn't give for a good nights sleep right now. Well not right now. I am trying to memorize all the parts of the citric acid cycle right now.
But here is a little post for me to look back on someday and say,
"yes, job well done...you really stuck it out when it seemed like the sky was falling".
Because that is how it feels right now. Falling. Crashing down all around.
It's been one of those weeks where more often than not I say to myself, "what the hell am I doing all of this for?"
Why can't I be settled and happy? Why do I feel like I am doomed to be "always roaming with a hungry heart..."?
What I wouldn't give for a good nights sleep right now. Well not right now. I am trying to memorize all the parts of the citric acid cycle right now.
9 comments:
I always like to use an anecdote to help me remember the citric acid cycle.
And I use a clever acronym to remember the anecdote.
Then I wrote the acronym in an email and sent it to myself for safe storage.
Then I changed jobs and lost access to that email address.
But the concept is sound, that's all I'm saying.
You are effing hilarious.
Kreb's Cycle: "Chinese Kids Eat Mandarin Oranges"
All I remember about Kreb's cycle is that the above isn't a complete mnemonic. Nothing else.
Augustus Philidor
Er...thanks! I think...that was entertaining, if not helpful.
I don't have any help in memorizing the citrus acid cycle, but you can handle this. When I have been at the point where I was feeling I just couldn't deal with any more, I look at all of the people, who are able to do it and realize that most of them are not so special. If they can do it, I can do it. It doesn't matter what the "it" is. Not that there aren't a lot of great doctors, but they are not the majority.
You have a lot more understanding of the reality of patient care than the people you will be going to medical school with. When you get by this part of things, the relevance of the science to real patients will help you. The practical part of medical school will be that much easier for you. Not that it will be a piece of cake, but you will be much better off than your classmates.
Rogue--thank you. You make a great point. Beach Bum posted this Calvin Coolidge quote last week:
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
I think it is very true and I have been trying to think about it when I feel the "I can't" mindframe sneaking in.
I think/hope that you are right also about the unique perspective that nursing will give me once I get into medicine--which I hope means it will be much more fun.
Well, no matter what--at least I'll be memorizing medical concepts not just physics formulas :)
The TCA cycle will come back to haunt you over and over and over...and then you'll get onto the wards and it won't matter one bit.
I know--that is the part that kills me about it.
We have a standoff every now and again where we both try and stare each other down. In the end TCA always wins and says "this won't be the last you see of me...mwaahahahaha".
Evil. It's pure evil. Even for someone who likes chemistry!
And I thought the TCA cycle was the method of trying all of the TriCyclic Antidepressants in an attempt to find one that makes the person not want to take all of them at once.
Post a Comment