Tobie and I have been savoring these last few days of freedom before the great education thrust begins again. I am back to school tomorrow and am pretty excited about the new start but also slightly dreading the immediate loss-of-having-a-life that comes with it.
We're both poor, and that isn't fun. But we've figured out low budget ways to enjoy our pauper-dom.
Right now I am on the 10 year window shopping plan. We go to these lovely grocery stores, artisan boutiques, art galleries and I pick out all the things I'm buying and then say "I'll be back in 10 years to pick those up".
At the liquor store which is only a 40 min walk away, they sell these mini bottles of wine (not half litres, they are actually 300mL) at the bargain price of 3 for 5 Euro. We make a large batch of popcorn, walk to the liquor store, get our three minis, and go to the movies (about another 10 mins walk). Flash the student cards and voilĂ ! it is a cheap night at the movies, with wine.
I am getting groceries on-line these days. That has significantly improved my quality of life. When you don't have a car, bike, or reliable bus service you have to somehow get to and fro your closest grocery store (2.6 km away). I know that doesn't sound far but when you have to carry them back (and you're not a masochist like AMG) it is not fun. Plus you don't want to buy heavy things like vegetables and fruits and beans...you want to buy pringles and twinkies because of their weight. Turns out, healthy things are heavy things. Who knew? I guess the Northern stores...
This week our patient has chronic heart disease. I am going to hit the 'Rapid Interpretation EKG' book for a few hours while Tobie practices. Life marches on.
2 comments:
I've walked that mile of groceries. Online shopping rules.
Hang in there kiddo. I can't wait to come over there again and meet this Tobie.
P.S. I hope in your window shopping you are also coming across items for the granny suite I'll be sharing at your Mansion, while I plod through my post-doc or probably, (with my luck) will still be doing this FRIGGIN' MASTERS!!!! I need some you time soon!
Hahahah, yes you HAVE! I totally forgot that, and you were carrying th bag of cans (humming 'Eye of the Tiger') the entire way I might add. :)
Yes you must meet this Tobie.
Yes I am designing your wing of the mansion. Hope you don't mind...it's going to be in Montreal.
God speed on that DAMN masters so you can get your butt here. Studying medicine. In the brand new medical building!!!
Post a Comment