Thursday, July 3, 2008

Is This the 6th or 7th Circle??


I'm melting...mmeeellllllttiinnggg!

It's my blog so I am going to say it. I hate summer. Really. I find nothing more irritating than being hot. Everyone who says "oh I love these nice sunny days" is saying that because all they do on those days is sit on their deck drinking beer, or sit in their air-conditioned office after driving to work in their air conditioned cars. They are not banished to various corners of their houses studying for an exam, with a fan on full-blast right in their faces. They are not trying to lose the paunch that came (free of charge) with their 6 week o-chem class.

Running has essentially become sun stroke roulette and unless I get up at 0500h or go at 2200h I am banking on nearly passing out. This displeases me. Running=good. Hot sun=bad.

I had to go to the hospital yesterday to get a TB skin test so I figured I'd run up there, thus multitasking my exercise and errand for the day. After nearly sliding off the vinyl chairs in the waiting room I sweat myself all over the magazines and then all over AM while she administered the injection. On the way home the temp was around 32°C (90°F).

I thought I was going...to...die. At the bottom of the hill near the river I was hoping for some cool breezes off the water but nope! It felt more like a sticky flower scented dish rag landed on me as I neared the banks.

Even after my shower I was sweating while trying to get dressed. GAK!

In the evening Syl and I had planned to go for a road ride (I've only ever ridden on my beefy XC bike) but due to a chain of events she had to bail. I was pretty amped to go still so I borrowed her bike and off I went.

OMG!!!!!

Am I the last person on the planet to discover that ROAD RIDING RULES??? I swear, I can't believe I have been on this earth for 28 years and have never discovered the amazing sport that is road riding. You get to go fast, it's a kick ass workout, the bugs can't bother you, and it is less likely that I'll endo/box myself every couple of kilometers or so. Yes, working ER at the bottom of a mountain which was home to a downhill bike park HAS made me even more of a poonce than I care to admit. So yes, downhill mountain biking is a great challenge and I do love it, but visions of embedded gravel, compound fractures, broken necks, and avulsions always dance in my head when I am on ye olde single track.


But last night, it was just me, the river, the sunset, the music, the mountains. Bliss. No visions of anything sinister dancing in my head.



It was stunning. I was in heaven. Not Dante's Inferno. The evening air off the water was like a swirling breeze from late fall, crisp and fresh.



At the 10 mile mark the road turned to gravel so I decided to also turn around. But it was so spectacular, I can't wait to get back in the saddle! And now I finally have a way to cross train!!!

YIPPEEEE!!!

As Joel Plaskett so aptly sings
there's a reason that I love this town.


Oh okay....maybe summer ain't so bad after all...

3 comments:

Rogue Medic said...

Remember that on the road, you need to watch out for cars and trucks.

The 9th circle is nice and cool, at least up to your neck. :-)

I am not a hot weather person, either. I think it has something to do with an inner thermostat for comfort and sweating. Little old people are happy about 20 degrees warmer than what I find to be a comfortable temperature.

debandpete said...

Oh Erin. I am so glad to have a kindred spirit who can't stand the heat. Last weekend was a scorcher in Victoria and it was hard not to feel like a party pooper when everyone else was raving about the weather. I can't stand how the heat drains my energy. And breaking a sweat just getting a cold drink from the fridge - not my idea of a good time. Give me cold, refreshing weather any day. Good thing we're moving to more northern climes soon... you'll have to come visit us!

Albinoblackbear said...

Oh my gosh YES! I actually tried to get a contract in the ER up there but it was already filled--though I am stalking the website and as soon as a posting comes I am jumping on it! YK is finally using agency nurses so I may be able to get a gig up there sooner than I thought! It'd be so great to see you guys. Sorry I'll miss you in Vic this weekend :( Congrats too!!!! :)