Saturday, October 15, 2011

Unexpected Excitement

This morning when I woke up I certainly did not expect to

a) cut out my first gangrenous appendix (nasty, but FUN!)

b) watch a c-section (bloody and fast)

c) attend a vaginal delivery (beautiful baby girl)

before lunch.

But such is the way that the universe works sometimes I suppose! So, yes I am technically on my medicine rotation right now, but the weekends are my own time. I told M.C to text me over the weekend if anything surgical came in. Sure enough, just after 0900h I got the "it's an appy" text so I raced in to the hospital. While I was scrubbed in the gynecologist poked his head in to see when we were going to be finishing up. I took the fortuitous encounter as my chance to ask him about some observing in obs/gyne.

See the thing is, I will have to apply for my residency spot in the fall of next year, which will be months before I actually get to rotate through obs/gyne. What if I discover my life's ambition is to be an obstetrician 6 months after I apply to every general surgery or emergency medicine program in the country?!

So my hope was to have some time this year, on weekends and holidays, in the gyne world. The consultant gynecologist seemed more than happy to have me kicking around and let me stay on for the c-section and then took me down to the labour ward to meet the impending deliveries.

And so, two hours after being handed the scalpel to cut out my first appendix I was watching a perfect baby girl come into the world to a very happy and healthy mommy.

Ah sure, looks like my weekend injections of inspiration and excitement will help get me through the next 7 weeks.

 

3 comments:

Cara said...

Yay!! You can totally survive 8 weeks of crap medicine (I work a medical ward. It's soul-sucking somedays) if you can have awesome weekends!

Knot Telling said...

This is beyond great - yay!

I'm having a rotten day, but I caught your happy excitement and now I'm smiling.

Is there a trauma surgeon you can shadow?

wv = peripm which sounds far too much like a pt care order.

Albinoblackbear said...

Cara--Agreed!!!

The sad thing is I think I'd actually enjoy the rotation if it wasn't for his Nibs. You can really get your head around lots of interesting pathology and signs if someone nice and interested is there to teach! :(

KT--Sorry to hear you are having a rotten day. Boooo!

Well here at my sleepy little rural hospital there is no trauma surgeon, just gen surg. The trauma cases go to the tertiary centers or to the UK. BUT! I am working on finding a trauma surgeon that will let me shadow them this summer. Fingers crossed something will work out.

Hahah, yes, I think I've actually carried out "peripm" more than I'd like to remember! :)