Friday, February 29, 2008

Hitting the Wall

(Back by popular demand I reposted this...I just had some second thoughts about sounding like the biggest whiner in the world but evidently people like reading that sort of stuff!)
It's official. Going to Switzerland between end of winter session and the start of spring session at U of A. It's going to be a whirlwind 10 day trip, bookended by moving out of Kelowna the day I finish exams and starting organic chem the day after I return. But I figured, what the hell? I've never been to the Alps and am stoked for some--you guessed it---spring ski touring at a slightly higher elevation than I am used to...oh and the wine at the huts ought to be a nice treat as well. With my adventura points the flight only cost 169 bucks...hell, I'd spend more than that on a pair of ski pants...wait...I just did.

But as I was saying...I am hitting the wall here in K-town. The recent round of midterms and "on hold" application to MD school has just appeared to kick me while I am down. I am not sure how I can put this delicately...um...I HATE SCHOOL. Well, not 'school' in general, because if I did, I wouldn't be signing up for another 7-10 years of the stuff but I hate the 'jumping through hoops' phenomenon of school right now. And the hoops at this juncture (physics, MCAT, etc) are just so soul sucking that most of the time I can't decide between lying in the fetal position on the floor or sitting in my car in the underground parkade staring straight ahead and listening to the Doobie Brothers.

And now it is 1900h which means I have wasted 2h of precious study time faffing on the computer, which makes me feel guilty, which leads to the downward negative thought spiral which you are now reading.

I just wish I could know that I wasn't doing this all for nothing.
The week off was supposed to recharge my batteries and get me ready to finish this semester. Instead I returned to my abode and classes feeling more despondent than ever, thinking about all the things I value in life and how those things are all compromised while I am here, studying MAGNETS for crying out loud.
Vent vent vent. I know, the world's smallest violin is playing my heart bleeds for you.
Well, what is a friggin' on line journal if you can't say what you really want to from time to time?

5 comments:

Henkka said...

Yowza, you are also coming!! Were you going to save it as a surprise or tell me as well? ;-)

WELLLCCCOOME to CH in the spring!!! Yes, spring touring with good wine and cheese will all be here! We are actually getting a bit of fresh snow now, it has been sunny for almost 3 weeks in a row. Jiihaa!

Ryan said...

Henkka, you forgot the 'd' on the end of jiha...Or are you declaring a Jiha(d) on the snow this spring?

Henkka said...

haha :). that's the Finnish way to spell yehaaw (or however you spell it :). I like the spring snow and the couloirs are in skiable condition early this year!

Albinoblackbear said...

Way to go Ryan, now my blog is going to be flagged by CSIS and the FBI...jackass...hahahah

Henkka said...

isn't that special, you will get a lot more traffic on your blog and some guys with dark suits and sunnies are waiting in your apartment one day when you come home ;-)

No comments: